Thursday 7 June 2012

Ancestors

Ancestors


                   I am just a man
            I stand here because I can
                        Walking in the footsteps of my forefathers
            It is the journey along the path of life
                        And I am just one step upon that trail
            Many men have stood here
                        Their blood stains this ground
            And that land endorses their memory
                        Echoes of their past
            Drift aimlessly upon the wind
                        Which sweeps in waves across the hills and valleys?
            Bending trees whose branches sway
                        In an awesome and spectacular salute
            Morning brakes on a dead still sea
                        Mist drifts in aimlessly
            A poignant silence of echoes lost
                        Amidst the whispers of infinite time
            History matters in a tragic way
                        But is soon lost
            In the ground, misplaced
                        I am just a man whose shadow falls                                                           
Where others trod before me
Like a footprint in the sand soon washed away.

                                                                        By C. D. J. Maylor © 2008 (All Rights Reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment